To In-House or Outsource? Choose Your E-Commerce Website Development
Weigh in your options after careful consideration of the below points when you are at crossroads to in-house or outsource e-commerce web development.
In-house web development
Most of the high profiled companies strive to keep their web development in-house as it gives better security and control over the project.
- Security: The chances of your data getting leaked or idea being stolen is low when your web development is done in-house by your trusted full-time employees.
- Communication: In-house development team has better communication with people sharing the same office space and language.
- Motivation: In-house employees can be easily motivated with bonuses, hike in salary or stock options. The contribution of the development team is higher as they focus on building a successful product rather than just finishing a task.
- Organizational fit: Being in the same office space with the company director, marketing specialists and content writers, they have better understating of the organizational needs. It gives a better understanding of the technical decisions they take for web development.
- Agility in problem-solving: For all companies, time is considered as money. Having an in-house development team gives instant communication, spot-on corrections, and implementation of changes in real-time.
- Control: Having an in-house development team gives better control on how the project is going and you can push the team better to see results.
- Costs: Price is a huge issue when it comes to web development in-house. The final cost of web development including infrastructure, training, and salaries (including bonus and paid vacation) makes the budget very high.
- Lack of skill set: Not every organization has skilled employees that can contribute to web development. It is often tough to hire employees with the required skill just to complete a specific project in a given budget.
- Lack flexibility: In-house team is quite bound by pre-defined rules and it makes it hard for them to think out of the box. The team lacks adaptability to new resources which makes them low on the competitive side in the market.
- Turn-over: Tech-based industry is known to have a less loyal workforce. There is always a risk that present employees can leave the firm and join competitors for a hike in the salary.
Outsourcing web development
Outsourcing is the most common practice followed by organizations in all sectors to get the desired outcome when low in resources.
- Cost-efficiency: Money matters a lot in doing business irrespective of the size of the organization. If you are running the business on a budget, outsourcing is your ally. It is cost-effective as they have high talent pool sourced just for projects and geographical-rate difference.
- Resources and technology: Outsourcing companies can accommodate diverse technologies and have extensive resources. It is hard to hire talented employees but easy to outsource to them.
- Flexible workload: Big projects and new developments are often taxing on the employees of the firm. Outsourcing is the right thing to do for those that cannot commit their time and energy.
- Innovation: If you are looking for innovation in your products and projects, outsourcing is the best choice. They have a ready-to-use talent pool with knowledge of advanced technologies to produce the best products.
- No-hassle recruitment: With outsourcing, you no longer have the burden to conduct interviews to hire talent and sort their salary. Save your effort, time and costs with hiring the right outsourcing web development team and relax.
- Get experts: Training your staff to work on a specific project is a challenging job. Choose your outsourced experts from an unlimited talent pool that can finish your development on time.
- Scalable: Outsourced agencies are perfect partners when your company needs scalability. They provide necessary resources to your growing needs. It is especially helpful when you are out to reach a global audience.
- Feedback: You can often feel the delay in communication and feedback with outsourced companies.
- Low involvement: They do not have a proper understanding of your company goals.
- Fraud: There is always a chance that outsourced company may disappear and it is riskier to work with them.
- Security: Loss of data or chances of stealing company information is high.
- Lack of control: You are not in charge of controlling the development phase or work progress.